Just found out my husband is an addict

This section covers ALL drugs, from Heroin to pain Killers. General Gossip.

Just found out my husband is an addict

Postby halfwayhomes » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:40 pm

Hello all. I'm very new to this so please bare with me this post may be all over the place because that's where my mind is.

My husband and I have been together for 8 years, married for almost 4. When I met him he was taking Vicodin due to a back injury from a terrible car accident. Well he never really stopped taking it and though I have been worried about it I thought he was taking it as prescribed.

He came down to me last night after putting our 2 year old to sleep saying he had to talk to me. He told me that his is addictd to the pills and it's bad. He has a monthly script and I guess buys pills from a man he knows. I am very hurt and angry. We have been having financial difficulties- still able to make bills but not much more- for a while and I thought this was due to a pay cut. He told me that he spends 100's of dollars a week on these pills. He takes 20-40 a day.

I'm completely lost- I don't know what to do. I'm having trouble dealing with my emotions. I'm pissed that he put me and my child in this situation. I would ask him about money and he would get angry with me. Now looking back I guess it makes since but I was so blind and naive before.

He says he told me because the past 6 months have gotten out of control and he knows he needs help before he goes down deeper. We have looked into a inpatient detox and then a 14 day rehab. It amazes me that he was able to be so functional based on the amount he said he has been taking. He still went to work every single day and is an amazing father, that's scary.

He was however always tired- pretty moody etc. I just figured it was because he works long hours. I want to be there for him but I'm worried that there's not enough of me to take care of him, my son, and myself. I'm lost and don't know what to do.

Like I said this is all over and I apologize. Any tips, encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
halfwayhomes

Re: Just found out my husband is an addict

Postby Dizzypanda » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 am

Hi,
I think that to share it with you means he realises how deep in he has fallen so that's a positive step. He must feel torn that his addiction has caused you and your child hardship while at the same time craving for the fix he needs. To lead this double life is incredibly hard so it shows that he has the energy to overcome this - physically I mean. The mental side of things may be a little harder but I think if you are willing to support him and encourage him that what he is doing is not just for him but you and your child too it gives him focus which I think he needs. I know it's easy to feel resentment for what he has done in the past but as long as he is resolute about stopping then can you draw a line and move forward? As for rehab - can you not try and make this home based or is that too difficult? I am trying to stop taking very strong painkillers after being addicted to them for 22 years and can't afford rehab but am determined to stop completely - it's hard but worth it.
Good luck - he's a lucky chap to have you x
Dizzypanda

Postby xander » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:33 am

You should talk to him and go to rehab to control his addiction, you're lucky he's honest, but being an addicted to something is not good to be with you should take an action. Try to convince him and talk to him in the best way
xander

Postby aaroncody » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Kindly go and take some advice from your to save your husband this addiction must be cured before it goes to high.
aaroncody

Postby xander » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 am

hi! i wonder how it goes? is everything good now? feel free to give us an update if you some sparetime :)
xander

Return to DRUGS ADDICTION