Am I an addict/problem drinker?

This is a great place to discuss anything relating to Alcohol.

Am I an addict/problem drinker?

Postby comedyjester » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Hi
I have been a lurker for while and I wonder if anyone can help.

I have always been a heavy drinker since teenage years. I got together with my wife eight years ago and in that time I have five big benders that have caused trouble with our relationship.

Nowadays I tend to be a bit more sensible but I will drink a lot at the weekend. Usually 4 strong alcohol bitters on a Friday and a bottle of wine on Saturday and Sunday evening. I then tend to raid the spirits cabinet when my wife is away and often have to top t up when she is not home.

I am always able to function without a hangover the next morning and normally she is not aware. But we are trying for children and I know it is wrong. Am I an addict or is this wrong?

I can go weeks as well without a problem and its not been years since I have upset wife.

Thank you for your comments in advance.
comedyjester

Re: Am I an addict/problem drinker?

Postby Andy284 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 am

Hi
It sounds to me like you need a change of routine. Look at the positives of drinking the way you do. There are NONE!!! Now look at what you have. A lovely wife, kids, a good job, the list is endless. Your problem is having that first drink on Friday. After that the pattern starts. Make Friday your evening out with the family. All go to a pizza place, or somewhere you all enjoy. It will cost you the same as a weekends alcohol. Then you will have started to break the cycle.get up early on Saturday and take the family out for the day. A park, or a walk. Release some endorphins.you will now start to see a change in you and a change in your family. There are plenty of things you can do which are much more fun than drinking. I know this will help. Good luck :-)
Andy284

Postby xander » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:26 am

Andy is right make your Friday a family night and your weekend too, maybe you get rid of your alcohol stuff you should keep it in the trash, don't let yourself get addicted to alcohol it can ruin your life
xander

Postby xander » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:26 am

Andy is right make your Friday a family night and your weekend too, maybe you get rid of your alcohol stuff you should keep it in the trash, don't let yourself get addicted to alcohol it can ruin your life
xander

Postby Miles C » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:17 am

I changed my router and t made all the difference. I now realise what I have got. Don't find out what you have got when it's too late. It's realky not worth it.
Miles C

Postby Jerry38 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 am

You should limit yourself from drinking. Change your routine and spend your time for more valuable things/moments.
Jerry38

Postby Umair123 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Buddy!!
Watch this video I had same Problem like you have.
You must watch this video this will help you.

Thanks
Umair123

Postby AlexSantos » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:20 am

hey guys,

dont know if this is the right place to post this. kind have the same problem here...

since my dad lost his job that he has been drinking. and keeps arguing with my mom...

u know, it's also her fault, she's being too harsh on him... but still. I'm worried that he his becoming addicted. and sometimes when he drinks he gets a bit violent. never got physical that I know of... but it worries me...

I'm 22 btw. What should I do? talk to him? report him when he starts shouting? just want to help my family...

Is there any good website to guide me on this? maybe about early signs of becoming a alcoholic?

thanks in advance
AlexSantos

Postby AlexSantos » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 pm

this is already an old thread...

but I guess I found a site talking about it...

here

the part "am I an alcoholic". dont know how to solve this problem...
AlexSantos

Postby elie.w » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:22 pm

A few signs to look out for if you think your drinking is getting out of control:

Drinking to de-stress or feel better.
Friends and family worry about your drinking.
Lying about or hiding your drinking.
Continuing to drink despite the problems alcohol causes in your relationships.
Neglecting your home life, work or school.
Legal problems as a result of drinking too much.

I'd say if you're asking the question you probably already know you are drinking too much or drinking 'wrongly'...

Go to www.AlcoholRehab.co.uk
elie.w

Next

Return to ALCOHOL ADDICTION